Wichita Alumnae Chapter
Fall 2015 Newsletter
Founders Day Celebration Brunch
Gamma Phi Beta is 141 years strong. It's time to celebrate our Sorority, our sisterhood. Enjoy a delicious brunch with your sisters as we celebrate with door prizes, auction items and a live fashion show by K-Lane's. (Our sisters will be the models!)
- Saturday, November 7
- 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Doors open at 9:30 a.m.
- Please arrive between 9:30 and 10 a.m. to look through the silent auction items before the celebration begins.
- The Petroleum Club
- 100 N. Broadway St. #900
- Wichita, KS 67202
- Cost: $25
- NEW this year: A cash bar will be available for those who would like to partake in a wonderful mimosa or Bloody Mary!
If you would like to reserve a table for four or more sisters, please pay in advance and email Sandy Stump (firstname.lastname@example.org) a list of names. The deadline for table reservation is Sunday, November 1.
If you would like to pay by mail, please mail a $25 check (made out to "Gamma Phi Beta") to:
Wichita Alumnae Group of Gamma Phi Beta
7337 E. 31st Ct. N.
Wichita, KS 67226
Please park in the Bank of America parking garage. On the day of the event, you may park anywhere in the garage, including the reserved spaces.
The entrance ramp is on the west side of Broadway – about half a block north of Douglas Street. Take the walkway on the third level of the garage into the building and veer to the right. A guard will be on duty, and there will be signs to direct you. Take the elevator up to the 9th floor.
- Scrambled Eggs (1/2 with peppers and onions and 1/2 plain)
- Bacon, Ham and Sausage
- Biscuits and Gravy
- Fresh Fruit
- Assorted Pastries
- Cinnamon Rolls
- Side bowls of shredded cheese, pico/salsa, butter and jelly
- Coffee, Iced Tea and Water
Capital Campaign Update
Thanks to the tireless efforts of dedicated capital campaign committee members and donors who provided the funds, the first phase of the remodel and expansion of the sorority house was completed at the end of the summer, just in time for Recruitment.
The project included enlarging the chapter room, new furnishings, window hangings, floor coverings and color palette for the public areas, and creating access and storage space in the former garage. The result is a much-needed transformation of the space.
The living room now features a distinctive built-in trophy case and cabinet with interior lighting. Awards received by the chapter are now in a prominent location for all to see and appreciate. New furnishings in both the living room and chapter room allow for moveable seating to meet the many needs of our growing chapter. With 36 new members pledged in September, the expanded chapter room can now easily accommodate everyone. And, attractive window treatments compliment the space and allow natural light to brighten each room.
The next phase of the project, creating a second floor Scholars Hall (exclusively for studying) and renovating the former house mothers’ suite into a handicapped accessible bathroom and leadership development office, will begin next year. Our goal is to complete the fundraising component of the project by the end of this year, so all work can be completed by the end of summer 2016.
Plans for this final component of the project will be shared with you as they are developed. If you’re at the University, please stop in and see the improvements for yourself. Or, give one of us a call and we’ll take you on a tour so you can enjoy and appreciate the changes.
We welcomed Beta Chi seniors into our alumnae chapter last May with lots of food, drinks and sisterhood held at the Public in downtown Wichita! Congrats, seniors!
The pledge classes of 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981 and 1982 got together at the HUE Gallery, co-owned by our very own Lindy Duguid Wiese. All the sisters got to reconnect, some who'd traveled from miles away, to hear about the Pride in our Past, Securing our Future Capital Campaign!
Wichita State University Formal Recruitment
Thank you to all our alumnae for your constant loyalty to Gamma Phi Beta and helping the Beta Chi chapter have such a successful recruitment!
Wichita Alumnae Panhellenic Update
Each spring, the Wichita Alumnae Panhellenic (WAP) awards scholarships to area high school graduating senior women. This past spring, WAP received 60 applications from outstanding young women in the Wichita community. From the 60, 10 semi-finalists were selected to participate in a panel interview. Three amazing young women were selected from the semi-finalists to each receive a $1,000 scholarship. The scholarship recipients are:
- Riley Flake, daughter of Tracy Flake, from Andover High School, with plans to attend Kansas State University.
- Megan Keller, daughter of Kim McDowell and Andrew Keller, from Wichita Northwest High School, with plans to attend Florida Gulf Coast University.
- Jenae Maley, daughter of Jeanna & Steven Maley, from Eisenhower High School with plans to attend the University of Central Missouri.
Fall in Love with Gamma Phi Beta Alumnae meeting
- October 1
- 6:30 to 8 p.m.
- Metro Appliance Venue | 3545 North Hillside Street | Wichita, KS, 67219
Looking for a way to get involved with the Wichita alumnae chapter and FALL in love with Gamma Phi Beta all over again? Join us for our fall alumnae event where you can mix and mingle with sisters, enjoy good food, pay your dues, sign up for our Founders Day Celebration and more! Blue Moon will cater some delicious appetizers. Hors d'oeuvres and drinks will be provided by the alumnae chapter.
Fall in Love with Gamma Phi Beta Alumnae Meeting
Oct. 1 | 6:30 p.m. | Metro Appliance Venue
Beta Chi’s Gamma Phive-K
Oct. 18 | 7 a.m. | Charles Koch Arena Parking Lot
Social Sisters & Family, Spouses, Friends!
Oct. 24 | 11:30 a.m. | Cox Farm
Founder’s Day Brunch
Nov. 7 | 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. | The Petroleum Club
Social Sisters & Friends
Nov. 21 | 5:30 - 7 p.m. | Bradley Fair Christmas tree lighting
Feb. 26 | 6:30 - 8 p.m. | The Candle Club
Panhellenic Tea and Card party
April 12 | 10 a.m. | Botanica
Senior Crescent Dinner and Senior Celebration
April 28 | 6:30 - 8 p.m. | TBD
Girls on the Run 5K
May 8 | 8:30 a.m. | Wichita Boathouse
Learn more about our upcoming events here or email email@example.com.
Formal Recruitment 2015
Fall 2015 Recruitment was a success! The Beta Chi chapter welcomed 36 members to their chapter on Bid Day! Thanks to all of our alumnae who helped us this year! We couldn't have done it without you!
Crescent Classic Gamma Phive-K
The ladies of Gamma Phi Beta invite you to join us for our second annual Gamma Phive-K (5k) to benefit our international philanthropy, Girls on the Run.
You can walk, jog, run or skip!
This event is focused on FUN, and not a timed event.
- Sunday, October 18
- Charles Koch Arena Parking Lot
- Check-in: 7:30 a.m.
- Register at 9 a.m.
$15 per ticket for early registration
$20 per ticket for late registration starting September 20
$30 per ticket for race day registration
Each ticket includes entry into the event, race bib, Gamma Phive-K water bottle and a hot/cold pack filled with vibrant pink gel beads.
Check-in and registration will begin at 7:30 a.m. and end at 8:45 a.m. The race will start at 9 a.m. and will conclude between 11 a.m. and noon.
This year we will be having a Color Dash at the end of the race! When you finish the race, the finish line will separate into two different paths, one will receive color and one will not.
NOTE: We recommend participants arrive 50 minutes early so there is plenty of time for all to park and stretch before the race
Your Dues Matter
It's that time of year again! It's time to pay your annual alumnae dues! Please consider your lifetime commitment to the sorority as you pay your annual dues. Just $50 a year covers your local and international dues, and it helps us to continue providing support to the local collegiate chapter, while also supporting our beloved signature events. Remember, its only $50 a year!
- Tabatha Morris welcome baby Lucy on Aug. 26
- Ashley Granberry welcomed baby Henry on May 20
- Erica Mears welcomed baby Oliver on May 14
- Kristin Faber welcomed baby Miriam on June 26
- Julie Eller welcomed baby Scarlett on March 8
- Megan Hancock welcomed baby Wyatt on Sept. 15
- Navani (Espinoza) Baalman welcomed baby Eli
- Kasey Curmode welcomed baby Greyson on Sept. 8
- Tessie Arambuala got married on Sept. 12 to Austin Brand
- Dana Simon got married on June 5 to Ben Schirer
- Dani Irving got married on Sept. 12 to Mike Machogu
- Megan Hansen got married on July 25 to Justen Crane
- Megan Dixon got married on Sept. 15 to Austin Pierpoint
- Emily Stewart on her new position as Process Manager at Meritrust
- Allison Gettings on her new position as the Graphic Design Specialist at Heartspring
- Kathy Randall on her new position as Corporate Implementation Coordinator at Koch
- Haley Parker on her new position as Clinical Care Manager at ComCare
- Lori Marceau on her new role at State of Kansas as an Unemployment Fraud Investigator
- Cori Durham on her positions at Heartspring
- Dani Irving and Courtney Rhodes on their new jobs at USD 259
- Heidi Drechsler on her role as Speech Language Pathologist with the Kansas City Public School
Please email any additions or corrections to firstname.lastname@example.org.