First and foremost, thank you for giving me the opportunity to serve this wonderful organization as its next president. I am humbled and honored to help lead the alumnae group with all of our hard-working officers. Gamma Phi Beta has been the driving force behind the last five years of my life, and I would not be the woman I am today without it. Thank you to Emily (Gleason) Stewart for leading the way these past three years. Your dedication and service will always be remembered. I am excited for the road ahead for our new officer team. I encourage you all to join us for our upcoming events, especially Senior Celebration where we will welcome our newest members. Let’s make this upcoming year the best.
Love in IIKE,
Erica Doyle | Beta Chi 2011
Spring Meeting Notes
Our spring meeting was held at Lou's Charcuteria and Cocktails where we went over announcements, officer updates, elections and reconnected with sisters! Here are some of the highlights:
- Our "Fall in Love with Gamma Phi Beta" event at the Metro Appliance Venue last fall had 50 women in attendance! Shout-out to Emily (Gleason) Stewart and Lori Craig for planning such a successful event.
- Dues are up from 45 members paying to 63 this year! (If you haven't paid your dues yet, click here.)
- Beta Chi's Grilled Cheese with G Phi B is April 27 & 28 this year. See the "Collegiate Spotlight" section below for details.
- There are 92(!) collegians in the Beta Chi chapter at Wichita State.
- Lori (Manning) Marceau is the new House Corporation Board President!
- The Gamma Phi Beta Convention will be held in Atlanta, Georgia, this year and we applied for seven awards!
- In June, the Wichita State Greek Advisory Board will be hosting a high school transition to reach out to high school kids interested in going Greek. Contact Jacqueline Belden (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more info.
- The Multicultural Greek Council (MGC) Step Show is April 30. Tickets can be purchased online. Click here for more info.
- Congratulations to our new alumnae officers!
Erica Doyle | President
Jenna McDonald | Vice President
Tessie (Arambula) Brand | Treasurer
Allison Gettings | Communications & Public Relations VP
Autumn Nance | Programming VP | Social Media Chairwoman
Megan (Hansen) Crane | Membership VP
Katie Hund | Crescent Correspondent & Historian
Nicole Gibbs | Special Gifts Chairwoman
Lori Craig | Alumnae Panhellenic Delegate | Senior Celebration Chairwoman
Lori (Manning) Marceau | Alternate Alumnae Panhellenic Delegate | Crescent Connections Chairwoman
Courtney Rhodes | Collegiate Liasion (BX Chapter Advisor)
Amber Krafczik | Collegiate-Alumnae Relations (BX Collegiate)
Emily Mullins | Collegiate Chapter President (BX President)
Jacqueline Belden | WSU Greek Life Advisory Board Delegate
Haley (Staats) Parker | Mother's Playdate Chairwoman
Danielle Schweiger | Founders Day Chairwoman
Kim Middlemist | Founders Day Silent Auction Chairwoman
Caitlin (Powers) Custer | Social Sisters Chairwoman
Stacey (Spillman) Ryan | Recommendations Chairwoman
Founders Day 2015 Recap
Founders Day Chair, Sandy Stump welcomed 176 women (91 collegiate members and 85 alumnae members) to the 141st founding of Gamma Phi Beta. The event was held once again at the Petroleum Club in downtown Wichita on Saturday, November 7. A delicious brunch buffet was followed by an enjoyable fashion show from K-Lanes boutique with some of our members as models. A little history was brought back to Founders Day by recreating the “Peanut & Olive” tradition which began back in 1908!
Clare Stewart, Beta Chi's chapter president, updated us on the chapter’s activities and awards, and we heard from Alumnae President, Emily Stewart; Affiliated House Corporation Board President, Beth Harlenske; and Capital Campaign Chair, Janet Wright on the alumnae chapter’s actions, achievements and future endeavors. It’s an exciting time for us!
Awards recipients for 2015:
50 year Pin Recipients – Pamela (Owens) Baker, Dixie (Ashton) Bridges, Julianne (Davis) Burke, Sue (Young) Fulks and Patricia (Barbee) Lucas
Sandy Stump – "Merit Award" from GPB International Office, The "Donna Jabara Baker Award" and the "IIKE" Award from the Alumnae Chapter
- 'Merit Roll' recipients are alumna who have 15 years of service at the local level, leader roles in the alumna chapter and additional supportive roles for the collegiate chapter. Congratulations, Sandy!
- Kim Sandlin – "Outstanding Alumnae Award" from the Beta Chi collegiate chapter
- Clare Stewart – "Helen M. Gard" outstanding senior award
Our silent auction had some amazing items in it, including a Breckenridge condo for one week, it raised over $4,000 for our alumnae chapter! THANK YOU TO ALL WHO DONATED!
Announcements were followed by closing rituals. An enjoyable time was had by all!
DON’T FORGET TO MARK YOUR CALENDARS FOR THIS YEAR’S FOUNDERS DAY ON SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 12!
House Corporation Board News
HCB held its annual meeting in February and two new members were elected to the Board. Janet (Lansdowne) Rhodes and Autumn Nance had been slated to fill two open positions, and they were elected. A special thanks to Beth Harlenske, who reached her term limit, for her service to Beta Chi. Beth jumped in at a critical time for the chapter and under her leadership, HCB was able to accomplish a great deal. Number one of the list was getting (and keeping!) the basement DRY. (knock on wood)
In March, the Board approved new bylaws which were patterned after those suggested by International. There were no huge differences, other than the name of HCB will now be Affiliated Housing Corporation (AHC), in keeping with IH recommendation. New AHC officers were selected; Lori Manning Marceau will serve as President, Janet Lansdowne Rhodes as Vice-President, and Autumn Nance as Secretary. Mylene (Sayler) Atnip has agreed to stay on as Property Manager.
AHC plans to have a yard cleanup day at the Beta Chi house on April 23. Some of the new landscaping plantings need to be trimmed down (ornamental grasses) and a few weeds are popping up that need to be shot with Round-Up. Beginning last year, we hired a local lawn care company to periodically spray for weeds and fertilize the grass and the addition of a sprinkler system will no doubt improve the appearance of the yard going forward.
Capital Campaign Update
Spring is here and the semester at WSU will be over in a matter of weeks, making it possible for the capital campaign committee to begin their work on the next phase of the remodel project undertaken last year. An additional $35,000 in commitments is still needed by May 1 in order for us to complete the entire project this summer. Our goal is to begin construction on the second floor Scholarship Hall in May, along with remodeling the downstairs guest bath into a handicap accessible space and creating a leadership development space for meetings and study by combining the former house mothers’ room with the executive committee room. These changes will significantly enhance the study and learning capabilities within the facility for chapter members.
Kappa Kappa Gamma recently purchased a lodge just west of the Delta Gamma property on campus, so it is imperative we complete our renovation project in order to remain competitive on campus. All Panhellenic chapters on campus now have nearly 100 members, so bringing on another sorority will probably happen in the not too distant future. If you have not made a pledge to help with this vital campaign, please consider doing so now. Gifts may be made online at www.gammaphibetawichita.com/campaign using your credit card or can be paid over two years if you desire. Gifts of $1,000 or more will be acknowledged on a plaque located inside the lodge and gifts of $5,000 or more are eligible for a tax deduction through the Gamma Phi Beta Foundation.
If you have questions or need additional information, please call or email Janet Wright, 316-655-8005, email@example.com or Susan Addington, campaign co-chairs, at 316-733-2897, firstname.lastname@example.org.
It’s up to us to keep Gamma Phi Beta at WSU green and growing.
Wichita Alumnae Panhellenic happenings
Each spring, Wichita Alumnae Panhellenic awards scholarships to area high school graduating senior women. Applications were received from more than 50 outstanding young women, from 22 different area high schools. Twelve finalists were chosen to interview and from that pool, four were selected to each receive a $1,000 scholarship.
The scholarship recipients are:
- Kellie Deutsch, daughter of Steve and Cindy Deutsch, from Trinity Academy, with plans to attend Wichita State University.
- Kylie Gregg, daughter of Jenni Gregg, from El Dorado High School with plans to attend Wichita State University.
- Claire Hersh, daughter of Jeff and Cathy Hersh, from Eisenhower High School, with plans to attend Wichita State University.
- Paige Smading, Dan and Lisa Smading, from Wichita East High School, with plans to attend Perdue University.
These outstanding young women and their parents will be honored at the annual Wichita Alumnae Panhellenic President’s Luncheon, hosted by Alpha Delta Pi on May 10.
On April 27th and 28th, the Beta Chi chapter of Gamma Phi Beta will be holding their annual philanthropy event, Grilled Cheese with G Phi B! The event will take place at the Gamma Phi Beta residence (3912 E. 21st St.) at Wichita State University. All proceeds will go to their local philanthropy, Heartspring.
Admittance is only $5 and includes two grilled cheese sandwiches, a bowl of tomato soup, a dessert and a drink. This event only happens once a year, so you don't want to miss out! There will be a lunch shift from 11 a.m.- 2 p.m. and a dinner shift from 5 p.m.- 8 p.m. on both days, with a late night shift from 11 p.m. - 1 a.m. on Thursday night only!
Buy your tickets from a Gamma Phi, or you can by tickets at the door for the same price! Email email@example.com for more information!
- New Babies
- Kasey Curmode welcomed baby Greyson on September 8, 2015.
- Jenna (Scheer) McDonald welcomed baby Quinn on November 28, 2015.
- Ashley Huynh welcomed baby Collins on March 4, 2015.
- Ashley (Prieksat) Moore welcomed baby Beckett on August 7, 2015.
- Navani (Espinoza) Baalman welcomed baby Elijah on July 11, 2015.
- Megan Hancock welcomed baby Wyatt on September 14, 2015.
- Tessie (Arambula) Brand married Austin Brand on September 12, 2015.
- Jessie (Wilson) Gibson married Cameron Gibson on October 10, 2015.
- Congratulations to:
- Erica (Gaither) Doyle on her engagement to Sean Doyle!
- Terecia Miller on receiving the Golden Appel Teaching Award in October!
- Abby (Fenster) Sharp on being accepted into graduate school at Wichita State for Speech Language Pathology!
Social Sisters & Friends
April 23 | 11 a.m. | Aida’s Coffee House
Grilled Cheese with G Phi B
April 27 & 28 | Beta Chi Chapter House
Lunch: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. | Dinner: 5-8 p.m.
April 28 | 6:30 p.m. | Public at the Brickyard
Girls on the Run 5K
May 7 | 9:30 a.m. | Wichita Boathouse
Social Sisters & Friends
TBD depending on interest
See Facebook event for details
Social Sisters & Friends
June 23 | 5:30 p.m. | Taste and See
Seniors’ Rite of Passage
April 25 | 8 p.m. (or after formal meeting) | Beta Chi Chapter House
All alumnae members are invited
Founders Day Celebration
Saturday, November 12
Please email any additions or corrections to firstname.lastname@example.org